Sunday, April 8, 2018

Ice Station Zebra

 
This one was of the first books I ever read. My Dad gave it to me when I was 12 and I totally got into it. I developed a love of these kind of grand adventures with global inplications. After MacLean, Robert Ludlum filled the bill for many years after that. So cool that most of the best books of both authors have been made into decent movies. The Guns Of Navarone is also terrific.
 



 
As a child of the Cold War this is exactly how I imagine it was when my Dad went to work every morning. This when especially true when he was gone for weeks at a time. I knew he was outsmarting those damn Ruskies. Great cast in this one and a great adventure at the top of the world. Sure the Arctic is just a big Hollywood set but I admire the attempt.
 




 

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love "The Guns of Navarone" but I've never seen "Ice Station Zebra."

DrGoat said...

Grew up with both of them. The Guns of N. was my favorite too. Lots of big stars, including Anthony Quinn. Always liked his acting.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

There is another great 60s movie to see then Debra. Like Guns very much.

Unknown said...

Iirc there were zero token Canucks in the film.Well the Mcgoohan character was the standin Canuck I suppose.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

If you liked Guns you will LOVE Ice Station Zebra.