Saturday, April 14, 2018

This Seems Safe. What Could Go Wrong?

A Pennsylvania school district said it will arm 500 school teachers with baseball bats in response to the Parkland, Fla., school shooting, Erie News Now reported.
 
The Millcreek School district organized a training day on how to respond to a potential shooting and the 16-inch bats were handed out to each teacher, the report said. The district paid $1,800 for the bats.
 
William Hall, the district’s superintendent, told the paper that the bats were primarily symbolic, but a “last resort,” and “an option and something we want people to be aware of.”

 

8 comments:

DrGoat said...

Well, what can I say. Stupid idea, 1800$ for a bunch of mini-bats, brainless school district (one of many)...Sometimes I really wonder what happened to brains...where did they go.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Never bring a knife to a gun fight" -- goes DOUBLE for stupid mini pretend bats! WTF were they thinking?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

How exactly to I fight the armed intruder with my little bat exactly. Do I brain one of the kids and use his unconcious body as a human shield. I need a professional development day.

Nick Ward said...

It's like America is living in some kind of absurdist nightmare.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

And if you wrote something like this they would laugh you out of the room but not in the good way.

jester59388 said...

I wish I could say this was the ONLY stupid idea from Pennsyltucky (and for those who don't know, my home state is famously referred to as "Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Alabama in-between"), there's this:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/24/us/pennsylvania-school-students-armed-rocks-trnd/index.html

Remember, this is the state referring to which Obama famously (infamously?) stated: "[In the small towns of Pennsylvania] they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." I wish I could say there wasn't much truth to that statement, but I know better.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Not your fault. It took generations of stupid people to make all the rest of y'all stupid. My only hope is that some of you see the light before the real Hillbillies do anymore damage.

DrGoat said...

There are us non-stupid people down here Cal. Just that the stupid ones are plentiful and yell the loudest.